Saturday, February 12, 2005

Night out in Houston

I never like getting a cold. It came on for 2 days, then last night on our date in a new Houston restaurant called ‘Grand Lux Café’ I could feel it roll over me and could no longer taste my food. I brought half the meal home.

What décor! Whoever got the job of turning the old FAO Schwartz into a restaurant was one crazy artist. Deep colors, swirling circles, brass, deep mahogany colored burgundy ceilings, with carvings and paint. High ceilings, golds and reds. It made me think of King Nebuchadnezzar (we read about him this week in ‘The Child’s Story Bible’ by Catherine F. Vos, AWESOME) and the kingdom he built up – conquering Egypt and Assyria and then Judah. Babylon must have been so over the top. His 90 foot golden idol. His palaces, I imagine would be grander than the Grand Lux Café. The food Daniel refused to eat would have been even grander than the food at the Grand Lux Café. But how fun to have a place in Houston to help imagine the grandness of kingdoms that God raised up and pulled down. Only a taste of God’s kingdom.