Sunday, February 27, 2005

Life with Lily Kate, age 3

Lily Kate. Just turned 3 and full of the excitement of her wonderful little life. She has a hard shell for outsiders. She is the kind of girl you want to be friends with ‘cause she is so cute and confident in herself, but is too hard to get to. I am glad I am on the inside.

She is adorable to look at, she is all curly and olive skinned. She has the brownest eyes and sandy blond hair. Lily Kate does her own thing, miss independent. She lines things up, she studies all things princess and pink. She has a large repertoire of songs ‘The B-I-B-L-E and Praise Him, Praise Him’ are her favorites, but can also be heard singing the alphabet song and many of the songs off the Geography CD from Veritas Press. Matthew’s Spanish tutor says she has a natural ear.

If not alone Lily can be found with her brother. They are like peas in a pod, they eat breakfast, lunch and dinner together, play Kroger, ABC Diner, house & birthday party together. He reads to her, they wrestle. They ride side by side in the car (Lily likes to ride in Matthew’s car seat if he is not on the trip). She brings fun to his life. Lily makes all things exciting and loud. She lives to the fullest.

She says the funniest things ‘peas taste yucky in my mouth’, describing her surroundings in great detail at the strangest times. I am not a good enough writer to capture all of her.

But tonight we experienced a Lily moment: We have been working on a family art project – a big painting with lots of paint and our hand prints. Tonight we opened the red house paint to paint the sides. Lily painted most of it with me smoothing out her brush strokes as needed. The boys went off to come up with a Bible verse to put on the painting. When we were done I went to see how they were doing. They came up with: These days should be observed and remembered in every generation by every family…Esther 9:28.

I got busy formatting the verse to print out and forgot about Lily. In a few minutes I asked Mark to go check on her. I printed the verse and followed him out to the garage. I saw first Mark’s face! Then I saw what he was looking so pained about: Lily – she had put her hands, no arms, into the can of red paint and had smeared it all over her body and legs (did I mention that she is always naked, even in 53 degree weather!). She was so pleased with herself, I ran to get the camera.

I chased her into the yard and hosed her down before I put her in a hot bath to warm up. I have not yet been out to clean up the pool of red paint on the bench and garage floor. I think it will eventually dry and perhaps I can peel it up!

Life with Lily is never boring.