Friday, February 11, 2005

Not much sleep

Didn’t get much sleep last night. I went to bed late as usual, was cold and couldn’t get comfortable. Joe the dog was on the bed hogging the covers. I was tossing and turning for a while and then just when I had fallen asleep Lily arrived up wanting in the bed. She was crying wanting me to go down to her room. I said no to going down stairs so she got in beside me. So, there I was one of 4 in a row – the dog, the husband, me and the preschooler. The bed we are in is uncomfortable enough as we are on the futon mattress on the floor, it is a double and my husband is 6’2. Not much room left without the dog and child.

Then at 3 am I awake to hear a distant cry. I realize after a few minutes it is Matthew. I trek down to find him weeping over his lost bear. Matthew had gotten out of bed to put on his ‘Schoolhouse Rock’ CD and lost track of Blue Bear. I put on the light and he immediately retrieves it from under the blanket. He goes promptly asleep.

I go back to bed and squeeze in between Mark and Lily. I put my arm over Mark and my hand touches the dog.

At 4 am I hear Laura crying. Her cry is the reason we are not in our own bed down stairs. For a baby she has the LOUDEST cry. Her crib is in our bedroom downstairs, we moved up stairs to the spare room temporarily until she sleeps through the night and we are not awakened by her! That was months ago. I go down to nurse her asleep. Mark suggests that I stay down and sleep there, but Schoolhouse Rock has the all the multiplication songs to go. So I go back up stairs.

Mark got up to work at 5am. Luckily I didn’t hear him get up. Lily wanted breakfast at 8am. I held her off until 8:30.

I am tired now, but have a full day – window cleaners coming, preschool with Lily this morning, 1st grade with Matthew in afternoon, tonight babysitter here, Mom and dad to a baby shower in Houston. At some time I should shower! Do I have a clean outfit? Gotta go.