Thursday, March 03, 2005

learning to read

I started with book/course ‘How to Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons’ by Siegfried Engelmann with Lily on Monday. Lesson 1 & 2 went well, took only about 10 minutes sitting down. She enjoyed spending that time with mom all by herself; she doesn’t even know she is learning!

I will be interested to see if she sticks with it and actually learns to read.

I started this book with Matthew a few months before he was 3. I had to put it away at lesson 10 as it was a struggle to keep him interested. But 6 months later I realized he was reading 3 letter words so we started it again. He flew through the lessons. We abandoned the book at lesson 64 as he was reading fluently by then and didn’t need it anymore. We graduated to flying through first grade Phonics Museum by then (a year later and we are going slightly slower through 1st grade now - we are at lesson 111 out of 164).

This blog will keep me accountable for doing the book with Lily Kate daily. I will record her ups and downs here.